Jan 8, 2007

Tall el-Hammam on Madaba Map?


For two days now it has been raining in Jordan so we have been confined to our hotel where we did pottery washing and reading. However, one can only do so much of that so we rearranged our tours and drove up to Mt Nebo (where Moses looked over the promised land) and then drove to Madaba where we viewed the Madaba map of Palestine (see photo). In the upper right corner of the map there is a site the name missing. Since it is across from Jericho (bottom centre) on the other side of the Jordan river I believe it to be Tall el-Hammam. While scholars say it is Nimrim, Iktanu, or Kefrein it is a much larger site than any of these and for other reasons I believe it to be our site of Tall el-Hammam. I hope to publish an article on this find in the Bible and Spade magazine and the Near East Archaelological Bulletin in the coming year.

It rained all day and some went out to the site (Tall el-Hammam) in the afternoon to check it out. Well there was a foot of water in some of the lower squares. So it was good that we didn’t dig today.

4 comments:

Lingomaster said...

Hi David,

Hope all is well with you and yours. I was trying to find some more information on Tall el-Hammam and happened onto your web site. I was wondering how the dig was going since you haven't posted anything since early January. My wife and I were there from the 3 until 17 January 2008. You may remember that I (together with Alex and Chris) helped you excavate the first section of the Roman aquaduct near the road (to Amman) that runs by the site.

It was a very memorable experience, so much so that we might be back again in 2009. In any case, I hope all is going well and that you're finding the things you need to find to convince others of the significance and importance of this site.

Take care now.
Roger and Cherri

David E. Graves said...

Hi Roger,
Yes I remember you and thanks for the help. After you left things slowed down while Steve negotiated the long term contract with the DOA. We completed clarifying all 165 meters of the aqueduct and hope to post some pictures shortly. Send me your address and I will drop you a CD. I hope you can make it next season. Blessings, David

Lingomaster said...

Hi David,

It has been a long time since I checked your web site so my apologies for not answering your question. Please write me an email at the following address and I will send you my address.

Thank you.
Regards,
Roger

Lingomaster said...

Hi David,

An email address would help now wouldn't it? :)
lingomaster06@netscape.net

Thanks,
Roger