|Aerial view of the acropolis of Herodium. PD.|
Liberty Excavation Reports Requirements
The Herodium dig director was Ehud Netzer until his untimely death. Who is directing the dig now? Were any excavations conducted prior to Netzer? On the Herodium you many find information connected with the director of the dig Ehud Netzer. LINK You might also mention how he died, as it was both ironic and tragic but remember this is not a biography of Netzer but an excavation report on the archaeology of the Herodium. Be sure to look at the synagogue , small theatre, and controversy over the tomb of Herod that has been in the news lately. Remember to provide"the historical background of the site (including history of previous archaeological excavations, if any), objectives of the current excavation, progress at the site, and significance of discoveries to biblical study. "Make sure to choose a good encyclopedia, journal articles, and books that specialize in the subject. This will give you a cross section of material.
- “Herodium–King Herod's Palace–Fortress.” Israel Ministry of Foreign Affairs. November 20, 2000. LINK.
- Berlin, Andrea M. “Herod the Tastemaker.” Near Eastern Archaeology 77 no. 2 (2014): 108–119. LINK
- Binder, Donald D. “Herodium.” Second Temple Synagogues. November 25, 2013. LINK.
- Bronner, Ethan. “Ehud Netzer, Archeologist Who Unearthed Herod’s Tomb, Dies at 76.” The New York Times. October 29, 2010.
- Burrell, Barbara. “The Legacies of Herod the Great.” Near Eastern Archaeology 77 no. 2 (2014): 68–74. LINK
- Dolphin. Lambert. Geophysical Exploration in Israel: The 1983 Field Season. LINK
- Gleason, Kathryn L. “The Landscape Palaces of Herod the Great.” Near Eastern Archaeology 77 no. 2 (2014): 76–97. LINK
- Hasson, Nir.“ Archaeological stunner: Not Herod's Tomb after all?.” Haaretz (October 11, 2013), n.p.. LINK
- Kahn, Lisa C. “Herodian Innovation: The Glass Industry.” Near Eastern Archaeology 77 no. 2 (2014): 129–139. LINK
- Kreiger, Barbara. “Finding King Herod's Tomb.” Smithsonian Magazine, August 2009
- Matassa, Lidia D. “The Synagogue at Herodium: Problematic Fact or Problematic Fiction?.” In A Land Like Your Own: Traditions of Israel and Their Reception, edited by Jason M. Silverman and Amy Daughton, 13–40. Eugene, Oreg.: Wipf & Stock, 2010. GOOGLE BOOKS
- Netzer, Ehud. “Greater Herodium.” Qedem 13. Jerusalem 1981.
- Netzer, Ehud. Herodium: An Archaeological Guide. Northamptonshire: Cana, 1987.
- Netzer, Ehud. “In Search of Herod's Tomb.” Biblical Archaeology Review 37, no. 1 (2011). LOOKUP
- Patrich, Joseph, and Benjamin Arubas. “'Herod’s Tomb’ Reexamined: Guidelines for a Discussion and Conclusions.” In New Studies in the Archaeology of Jerusalem and Its Region, edited by Gary D. Stiebel, Orit Peleg–Barkat, Doron Ben–Ami, Shlomit Weksler–Bdolahand, and Yuval Gadot. Collected Papers 7. (Jerusalem, Israel: Hebrew University, 2013), 287–300.
- Porat, Roi, Yakov Kalman, Rachel Chachy–Laureys. “The Continuation of the Activity of the Herodium Expedition for the Promotion of Research and Development of Herodium.” The Hebrew University of Jerusalem. 2013. LINK
- Rozenberg, Silvia. “Wall Painters in Herodian Judea.” Near Eastern Archaeology 77 no. 2 (2014): 120–128. LINK
- Ritmeyer, Leen. "Herod’s Tomb at Herodium.” Ritmeyer Archaeological Design, October 11, 2013. LINK.
- Segal, Arthur. “Herodium.” Israel Exploration Journal 23, no. 1 (1973): 27–29. JSTOR
- Shanks, Hershel. “Was Herod’s Tomb Really Found?.” Biblical Archaeology Review 40 no. 3 (May/Jun 2014). LOOKUP
- Weiss, Zeev. “Buildings for Mass Entertainment: Tradition and Innovation in Herodian Construction.” Near Eastern Archaeology 77 no. 2 (2014): 98–107. LINK
- Wiener, Noah. “Herodium: The Tomb of King Herod Revisited Was Herod’s Tomb Really Found?” Bible History Daily: Biblical Archaeology Society, May 02, 2014. LINK
- Zias, Joseph.” Was Byzantine Herodium a Leprosarium?" The Biblical Archaeologist 49, no. 3 (September 1986): 182–86. JSTOR
Dictionaries and Encyclopedias:The list of abbreviations can be found here. LINK
- Avi–Yonah, Michael, and Shimon Gibson. “Herodium.” Encyclopaedia Judaica. Ed. Michael Berenbaum and Fred Skolnik. 2nd ed. Page 39 in Vol. 9. Detroit: Macmillan Reference USA, 2007. LINK.
- Negev, Avraham, and Shimon Gibson, eds. “Herodium.” page 226 in Archaeological Encyclopedia of the Holy Land. New rev., and updated. 1 vols. New York, N.Y.: Continuum International, 2001.
- Luker, Lamontte M. “Herodium.” n.p. Vol. 2. In The New Interpreter’s Dictionary of the Bible, edited by Katharine Doob Sakenfeld, 5 Vols. Abingdon, 2009.
- Netzer, Ehud.“ Herodium.” Freedman, David Noel, Gary A. Herion, David F. Graf, and John David Pleins, eds. The Anchor Bible Dictionary. 6 vols. New York, N.Y.: Doubleday, 1992.
- Pfeiffer, Charles F., ed. “Herodium.” pages 287–89 in Wycliffe Dictionary of Biblical Archaeology. Peabody, Mass.: Hendrickson, 2000.
Modified December 19, 2016. Copyright © 2016 Electronic Christian Media.