|The Rav Getz Synagogue inside the Western Wall |
tunnel in Jerusalem
Photo by David Shankbone, PD
Warren's Gate - Jerusalem
Liberty Excavation Reports RequirementsOn Warren's Gate (and tunnel) you can begin with the Palestine Exploration Fund (PEF) as this was where Warren worked. LINK Also see the Official website LINK. Try not to get side tracked on issues other than his work and this is not a biography of Warren's life so don't provide a lot of details on Warren himself, other than a brief introduction to who he was and his work in Jerusalem LINK. The primary source material of the correspondence and articles of his travels are available at LINK and Primary source documents at LINK. Most information on Charles Warren and the Gate he discovered can be found in the history of Jerusalem or history of archaeology and under Warren himself. Remember to provide "the historical background of the site (including history of previous archaeological excavations, if any), objectives of the current excavation, progress at the site, and significance of discoveries to biblical study." Make sure to choose a good encyclopedia, journal articles, and books that specialize in the subject. This will give you a cross section of material.
- Fagan, Brian M. A Brief History of Archaeology: Classical Times to the Twenty–First Century. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall, 2004.
- Fagan, Brian M. Return to Babylon: Travelers, Archaeologists and Monuments in Mesopotamia. Boston, Mass.: Little, Brown & Co., 1979.
- Geva, Hillel. "The history of Archaeology Research in Jerusalem. "The New Encyclopedia of Archaeological Excavations in the Holy Land. Edited by E. Stern. 4 vols. Jerusalem, 1993 2:801–4.
- Greenberg, Raphael. "Extreme Exposure: Archaeology in Jerusalem 1967–2007. "Conservation and Management of Archaeological Sites 11 Nos 3–4 (2009): 262–81. Academia.edu PDF
- Reich, Ronny, and Eli Shukron. "Light at the End of the Tunnel." Biblical Archaeology Review 25, no 1, January 1999: 22–25. LOOKUP
- Reich, Ronny and Eli Shukron. "Jerusalem, Robinson’s Arch: Preliminary Report." Hadashot Arkheologiyot: Excavations and Surveys in Israel 123 (2011). LINK
- Smith,"The Survey of Western Palestine: Special Papers on Topography, Archaeology, Manners, and Customs." In The Survey of Western Palestine: Special Papers on Topography, Archaeology, Manners, and Customs, by Palestine Exploration Fund, 2–42. England: Northwestern University Library, 1902. LINK.
- Vincent, L.-H. 1911. Underground Jerusalem. London;
- Warren, Charles. 1876. Underground Jerusalem. London;
- Wilkinson, J. 1978. Jerusalem as Jesus Knew It. London;
- Wilson, Charles. and Warren, Charles. 1871. The Recovery of Jerusalem. London;
- Yadin, Yigal, ed. 1976. Jerusalem Revealed: Archaeology in the Holy City, 1968–1974. Trans. R. Grafman. Jerusalem. Israel Exploration Society.
Dictionaries and Encyclopedias:The list of abbreviations can be found here. LINK
Modified Feb 8, 2016. Copyright © 2016 Electronic Christian Media.