|The Stone Steles from Tel-Gezer, Israel. PD.|
Gezer (Tel Gezer)
Liberty Excavation Reports Requirements
Here is the official site for GEZER, if you have not already found it. Be sure to talk about the Gezer calendar, Gezer high place, the New (2006) Gezer Boundary Inscription, Astarte figurine, and water system, just to mention a few. Remember to provide "the historical background of the site (including history of previous archaeological excavations, if any), objectives of the current excavation, progress at the site, and significance of discoveries to biblical study." Make sure to choose a good encyclopedia, journal articles, and books that specialize in the subject. This will give you a cross section of material.
- Albright, William F. “The Gezer Calendar,” Bulletin of the American Schools of Oriental Research (BASOR). 92 (1943):16–26. JSTOR Original description of the find.
- Blaiklock, E. M., 1983. “Gezer,” NIDBA, 212.
- Bolen, Todd, Bible Places LINK
- Borowski, Oded. “Not All That Glitters is Gold' But Sometimes It Is.,”Biblical Archaeology Review 7 no. 6 (Nov Dec 1981): 58–59. Article is on the Astarte figurine. LOOKUP
- Dever, William G., H. Darrell Lance, and G. Ernest Wright. Gezer I: Preliminary Report of the 1964–66 Seasons. Jerusalem: Hebrew Union College Biblical and Archaeological School, 1970.
- Dever, W. G., “Excavations at Gezer,” The Biblical
Archaeologist 30 (1967): 47-62.
Dever, W. G., “Further Excavations at Gezer, 1967-71,” The Biblical Archaeologist 34 (1971): 94-132.
- DeVries, L. F., 2006. “Gezer,” in Cities of the Biblical World, 176–81.
- Fritz, Volkmar. “Solomon and Gezer,” In Confronting the Past: Archaeological and Historical Essays on Ancient Israel in Honor of William G. Dever, edited by Seymour Gitin, J. Edward Wright, and J. P. Dessel, 303–8. Winona Lake, Ind.: Eisenbrauns, 2006. Look Inside
- Garner, G. G., 1982. “Gezer,” NBD 2, 416–18.
- Geva, Hillel. “Gezer,” Jewish Virtual Library LINK
- Graves, David E. “Facts from Archaeology: The Gezer Calendar,” Key Themes of the Old Testament: A Survey of Major Theological Themes (Moncton, N.B.: Electronic Christian Media, 2013), 32–33. Look Inside
- Graves, David E. “The Gezer Calendar,” Biblical Archaeology Vol. 2: Famous Discoveries That Support the Reliability of the Bible. (Toronto, Can.: Electronic Christian Media, 2015), 96–97.
- Gitin, Seymour, J. Edward Wright, and J. P. Dessel, eds. Confronting the Past: Archaeological and Historical Essays on Ancient Israel in Honor of William G. Dever. Winona Lake, Ind.: Eisenbrauns, 2006.
- MacAlister, R. A. S. The Excavation of Gezer 1902–1905 and 1907–1909. 3 vols. London: John Murray, 1912. PDF
- Maeir, Aren M. Bronze and Iron Age Tombs at Tel Gezer, Israel: Finds from Raymond–Charles Weill’s Excavations in 1914 and 1921. British Archaeological Reports British Series 1206. Oxford: Archaeopress, 2004.
- Mitchell, Eric and Jason Zan. “Southwestern Students Find Ancient Inscription in Tel Gezer,” Israel Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, May 25, 2012, n.p. LINK
- Shanks, Hershel. “Bilingual Boundary Stone Discovered at Tel Gezer,” Bible History Daily: Biblical Archaeology Society May 30, 2012. LINK
- Shanks, Hershel. “The Sad Case of Tell Gezer,” Biblical Archaeology Review 9 no. 4 (Jul/Aug 1983): 30–35, 38–42. LOOKUP
- Sivan, Daniel. “The Gezer Calendar and Northwest Semitic Linguistics,” Israel Exploration Journal 48 no. 1/2 (1998): 101–105. An up–to–date linguistic analysis of this text. JSTOR
Dictionaries and Encyclopedias:The list of abbreviations can be found here. LINK
- Dever, William G., “Gezer,” Eerdmans Dictionary of the Bible. Freedman, David Noel, Allen C. Myers, and Astrid B. Beck, eds. Grand Rapids, Mich.: Eerdmans, 2000.
- Dever, William G., “Gezer,” In The Oxford Encyclopedia of Archaeology in the Near East vol. 2, Edited by Eric M. Meyers, 396–400. New York: Oxford University Press, 1997.
- Dever, William G., “Gezer,” Encyclopedia of Archaeological Excavations in the Holy Land.4 vols. Avi–Yonah, Michael, and Ephraim Stern, eds. Upper Saddle River, N.J.: Prentice Hall, 1978, 2:428–43.
- Dever, W. G., 1984. “Madeira,” MDB, 328–29.
- Dever, W. G., 1993. “Gezer,” NEAEHL, 2:496–506.
- Dever, W. G., 1997. “Gezer,” OEANE, 2:396–400.
- Dever, W. G., 1976. “Gezer,” IDBSup, 361–63.
- Dever, W. G., 1978. “Gezer,” EAEHL, 2:428–43
- Dever, W. G., 1996. “Gezer,” HBD, 343–45.
- DeVries, C. E., 1988. “Gezer,” BEB, 1:860–61.
- Freedman, David Noel, Gary A. Herion, David F. Graf, and John David Pleins, eds. "Gezer (Place),” in The Anchor Bible Dictionary. 6 vols. New York, N.Y.: Doubleday, 1992.
- Hamilton, R. W., 1984. “Gezer,” IDB, 2:388–89.
- Negev, Avraham, and Shimon Gibson, eds. “Gezer (Tel),” page 196–199 in Archaeological Encyclopedia of the Holy Land. New rev., and updated. 1 vols. New York, N.Y.: Continuum International, 2001.
- Oded, Bustanay. “Gezer Calendar,” Encyclopaedia Judaica. Ed. Michael Berenbaum and Fred Skolnik. 2nd ed. Vol. 7. Detroit: Macmillan Reference USA, 2007, page 569. LINK
- Pardee, Dennis. “Gezer Calendar,” In The Oxford Encyclopedia of Archaeology in the Near East vol. 2, Edited by Eric M. Meyers, 396–400. New York: Oxford University Press, 1997.
- Pfeiffer, Charles F., ed. “Gezer,” pages 254–57 in Wycliffe Dictionary of Biblical Archaeology. Peabody, Mass.: Hendrickson, 2000.
- Pfeiffer, Charles F., ed. “Gezer Calendar,” pages 257–59 in Wycliffe Dictionary of Biblical Archaeology. Peabody, Mass.: Hendrickson, 2000.
- Rainey, A. F., 1975. “Gezer,” ZPEB, 2:706–10.
- Rainey, A. F., 1995 “Gezer,” ISBE 2, 2:458–60.
- Russell, E., 1987. “Gezer,” NIDB, 386–87.
- R., A. F. and J. R. “Gezer,” The Wycliffe Bible Encyclopedia. Pfeiffer, Charles F, Howard Frederic Vos, and John Rea, eds.Chicago, Ill.: Moody, 2005.
- Schoville, K. N., 1978. “Gezer,” BAF, 355–61.
- Singer, Isidore, Cyrus Adler, Gotthard Deutsch, Kaufmann Kohler, and Emil G. Hirsch, eds. “Gezer,” in The Jewish Encyclopedia. 12 vols. New York, NY: Funk & Wagnalls, 1906. LINK Not to be confused with the Bridger, David, and Samuel Wolk. The New Jewish Encyclopedia. Springfield, NJ: Behrman, 1962.
- Young, F. E., 1966. “Gezer,” BW, 254–57.
Modified Feb 8, 2016. Copyright © 2016 Electronic Christian Media.