|Aerial Photo of Shiloh (Khirbet Seilûn). |
Photo by Barry Kramer. Used by permission of ABR.
Shiloh was Israel's first capital for 369 years according to the Talmud (Zevachim 118B). It was the place where Joshua erected the Tabernacle (dwelling place, Heb. Mishkan; or Tent of Meeting, Heb. 'Ohel Mo'ed, Joshua 18ff) and where the Promised land was divided among the tribes; where the Lord's yearly festival was celebrated and the Israelites brought sacrificial offering; and the prophet Samuel ministered.The Ark of the Covenant was captured by the Philistines according to 1 Samuel 4:1-10.
|Israelite houses from about 1050 BC. Large vessels in situ.|
Wall of house in the background. Kjaer, Hans Andersen.
“Shiloh a Summary Report of the Second Danish Expedition,
1929.” Palestine Exploration Quarterly 63, no. 2 (1931): 74.
A mosaic floor in a Byzantine church (ca. 380-420 AD) was discovered just south of Shiloh in 2006 and 2007 under the direction of the Archaeological Staff Officer for Judea and Samaria in Israel's Civilian Administration Antiquities Unit. See Ahuva Balofsky, "Tabernacle Evidence Unearthed in Shiloh." Breaking Israel News July 3, 2013. LINK
For a Occupational overview and many nice photos of the site see Bible Walks LINK
See also The Shiloh website LINK