|View at the excavations of Tel Be'er Sheva. PD|
BEERSHEVA or BEER SHEBA (Tel Beer Sheva)
Liberty Excavation Report RequirementsThe site is now an archaeological park and may not have a website that is active for archaeology. The best work, if you can locate it at your library, would be Aharoni, Yohanan, ed. Beer–Sheba I: Excavations at Tel Beer–Sheba. Jerusalem: Institute of Archaeology, 1973. It would be advisable to get a good survey of the different periods at Beersheva from a good Bible Dictionary listed below. Remember to provide “the historical background of the site (including history of previous archaeological excavations, if any), objectives of the current excavation, progress at the site, and significance of discoveries to biblical study.” Make sure to choose a good encyclopedia, journal articles, and books that specialize in the subject. This will give you a cross section of material.
- “Archaeological Sites in Israel–Beersheba,” Israel Ministry of Foreign Affairs. LINK
- “Tel Be’er Sheva National Park – Remains of biblical Beersheba,” Negev National Parks October 25, 2011. LINK
- Berenbaum, Michael, and Fred Skolnik, eds. Encyclopedia Judaica. 22 vols. 2nd ed. New York, N.Y.: MacMillan, 2006. LINK
- Carson, Thomas, ed. The New Catholic Encyclopedia. 15 vols. 2nd ed. Detroit, Mich.: Gale, 2003. LINK
- Easton, Mathew George. Illustrated Bible Dictionary. 3rd ed. Nashville, Tenn.: Nelson, 1897. Older research but good for an overview of previous views.
- Freedman, David Noel, Gary A. Herion, David F. Graf, and John David Pleins, eds. The Anchor Bible Dictionary. 6 vols. New York, N.Y.: Doubleday, 1992.
- Freedman, David Noel, Allen C. Myers, and Astrid B. Beck, eds. Eerdmans Dictionary of the Bible. Grand Rapids, Mich.: Eerdmans, 2000.
- Graves, David E. 2013. “Facts from Archaeology: Beersheba Altar.” Key Themes of the OT. Moncton, N.B.: ECM, 257–58. Look Inside
- Herzog, Z., 1980. “Beer-sheba of the Patriarchs,” BAR, 6:12–28.
- le–arkhe’ologyah, Makhon. The Tel Beer–Sheba Negev Expedition. Institute of Archaeology, Tel Aviv University, 1976.
- Masterman, E. W. G. “Beersheba,” in The International Standard Bible Encyclopedia. 5 vols. Edited by James Orr, and Melvin Grove Kyle. Howard–Severance Co., Chicago, 1915. LINK
- Negev, Avraham, and Shimon Gibson, eds. “Beer Sheba,” page 73–74 in Archaeological Encyclopedia of the Holy Land. New rev., and updated. 1 vols. New York, N.Y.: Continuum International, 2001.
- Pallen, Condé Bénoist, Charles George Herbermann, and Edward Aloysius Pace, eds. The Catholic Encyclopedia; An International Work of Reference on the Constitution, Doctrine, Discipline, and History of the Catholic Church. 19 vols. New York, N.Y.: Appleton Company, 1913. New Advent
- Pfeiffer, Charles F., ed. “Beer–sheba,” pages 137 in Wycliffe Dictionary of Biblical Archaeology. Peabody, Mass.: Hendrickson, 2000.
- Tenney, Merrill C., and Moisés Silva, eds. Zondervan Pictorial Encyclopedia of the Bible, Vols. 1–5. Revised, Full–Color ed. Grand Rapids, Mich.: Zondervan, 2009.
Dictionaries and Encyclopedias
For Abbreviations See LINK Abbreviation LINK
- Aharoni, Y., 1972. “Excavations at Tel Beer-sheba,” BA 35:111–2.
- Aharoni, Y., 1975. “Beersheba, Tel,” EAEHL, 1:160–68.
- Bailey, L. R., 1984. “Beersheba,” MDB, 93.
- Blaiklock, E. M., 1983. “Beersheba,” NIDBA, 94–95.
- Boyd, B., 1976. “Beer-sheba,” IDBSup, 93–95.
- Cogan, M., 1996. “Beer-sheba,” HBD, 101.
- Cohen, S., 1984. “Beer-sheba,” IDB, 1:375–76.
- DeVries, L. F., 2006. “Sidon,” in CBW, 150–55.
- Fredricks, D. C., 2003. “Beer-Sheba,” HolBD, 161–63.
- Gates, J. F., 1987. “Beersheba,” NIDB, 131–32.
- Gophna, R., 1975. “Beersheba,” EAEHL, 1:153–59.
- Herzog, Z., 1993. “Tel Beersheba,” NEAEHL, 1:167–73.
- Herzog, Z., 1997. “Beersheba,” OEANE, 1:287–91.
- Manor, D. W., 1992. “Beer-sheba,” ABD, 1:641–45.
- Martin, W. J. and A. R. Millard, 1982. “Beersheba,” NBD2, 128.
- Masterman, E. W. G., 1915. “Beersheba,” in ISBE.
- Negev, and Gibson, eds. 2001. “Aenon,” AEHL, 73–74.
- Pfeiffer, Charles F. ed. 2000. “Beer-sheba,” WDBA, 137.
- Rainey, A. F., 1975. “Beersheba,” ZPEB, 1:507–9.
- Rainey, A. F., 1995 “Beer-sheba,” ISBE2, 1:448–51.
- Schoville, K. N., 1978. “Beer-sheba,” BAF, 315–21.
- Vos, H. F., 1988. “Beersheba,” BEB, 1:274.
Modified Feb 8, 2016. Copyright © 2016 Electronic Christian Media.