|Edward Robinson 1794-1863|
Union Archives of the Burke Library
at Union Theological Seminary
in New York
Information on Edward Robinson would be found in the history of Jerusalem or history of the geography of archaeology (i.e., by Brian Fagan) or in a good Bible Dictionary or Encyclopedia LINK. Questions that you should answer in your paper include:
- Where did he take his training for archaeology?
- What was his specialty in archaeology?
- Where did he excavate?
- What famous people did he excavate with?
- What discoveries was he involved in?
- What was the Biblical impact of his research?
- Abel, F. M. “Edward Robinson and
the Identification of Biblical Sites.” Journal of
Biblical Literature 58 no. 4 (1939): 365-72. JSTOR
- Albrecht, Alt.
“Edward Robinson and the historical geography of Palestine.” Journal
of Biblical Literature 58 no. 4 (1939): 373-77. JSTOR
- Baird, William. History of New Testament Research: From Jonathan Edwards to Rudolf Bultmann. Vol. 2. Minneapolis, Minn.: Fortress, 2002. 2:28-31. Look Inside See Baird’s footnotes for more articles.
- Brewer, Julius A.
“Edward A. Robinson as Biblical Scholar.” Journal of
Biblical Literature 58 no. 4 (1939): 355–63. JSTOR
- Dearman, J. Andrew.
“Edward Robinson: Scholar and Presbyterian Educator.” American
Presbyterians: Journal of Presbyterian History 69
no. 3 (Fall 1991): 163–74. JSTOR
- Dever, William G. Recent
Archeological Discoveries and Biblical Research.
Samuel and Althea Stroum Lectures in Jewish Studies.
Washington, D.C.: University of Washington Press, 1989. Look
- Fisher, Milton C.
“Edward Robinson (1794–1863).” Bible and Spade
2, no. 1 (1989): 2–3. LINK
- Fagan, Brian M. A Brief History of Archaeology: Classical Times to the Twenty-First Century. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall, 2004. ISBN: 978-0131776982
- Hitchcock, Roswell
Dwight, and Henry Boynton Smith. The Life, Writings,
and Character of Edward Robinson: Read Before the N. Y.
Historical Society - Primary Source Edition. New
York, N.Y.: A. D. F. Randolph, 1863. LINK
to various formats including PDF.
- King, Philip J. “BA
Portrait: Edward Robinson: Biblical Scholar.” The
Biblical Archaeologist 46, no. 4 (1983): 230–32.
- Long, Burke O. “Review of Jay G. Williams, The Times and Life of Edward Robinson: Connecticut Yankee in King Solomon’s Court, Society for Biblical Literature.” Review of Biblical Literature (1999): 486–88. PDF
- Williams, Jay G. The Times and Life of Edward Robinson: Connecticut Yankee in King Solomon’s Court. Biblical Scholarship in North America 19. Atlanta, Ga.: Society of Biblical Literature, 1999. ISBN: 978-0884140122
Modified May 16, 2016. Copyright © 2016 Electronic Christian Media.