|Woolley holding the hardened plaster mold of a lyre discovered at Ur.|
- Where did he take his training?
- What was his specialty?
- Where did he excavate?
- Who did he excavate with?
- What discoveries did he make or was involved in?
- What was the
Biblical impact of his research?
|Sir Leonard Woolley (National Portrait Gallery)|
- Fagan, Brian. “Leonard Woolley.” Pages 117-120 in Archaeologists: Explorers of the Human Past. Oxford Profiles. Oxford, U.K.: Oxford University Press, 2003). Look Inside
- Brereton, Gareth.
“Ur of the Chaldees. A Virtual Vision of Woolley’s Excavations
at Ur.” The Ancient Near East Today 2, no. 8
(August 15, 2014): n.p. LINK
- Hafford, W. B. "Legacy Excavations and Linked Open Data: A Virtual Vision of Sir Leonard Woolley’s Ur," American School for Oriental Research Blog, June 19, 2013. LINK .
- Luby, Edward M. “Backward Glance: The Ur-Archaeologist: Leonard Woolley and the Treasures of Mesopotamia,” Biblical Archaeology Review 23 No. 2 (1997). BAR
- Mallowan, Max E. L.
“Sir Leonard Woolley.” Expedition (Fall
1960): 25-28. PDF.
Mallowan worked with Woolley at Ur so
has first hand information.
- Mason, Doug. “C. Leonard Woolley -- Meticulous and Professional.” News Sentinel Knoxville, Tenn. 31 Jan 1999. ProQuest
- Richter, Tobias. “Espionage and Near Eastern Archaeology: A Historiographical Survey.” Public Archaeology 7, no. 4 (November 2008): 212–40. LINK
- Woolley, C. Leonard, and E. A. Speiser. Excavations at Ur: The Pottery of Tell Billa. London: Museum, 1933.
- Woolley, C. Leonard, and E. A. Speiser. Excavations at Ur
- Woolley, C. Leonard, and M. E. L. Mallowan. Ur Excavations: Ur Cemetery 9 vols. Oxford, U.K.: Oxford University Press, 1927. PDF
- Woolley, C. Leonard, and P. R. S. Moorey. “Ur of the Chaldees” Revised and Updated. Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press, 1982.
- Woolley, C. Leonard. “Excavations at Tell El-Amarna.” Journal of Egyptian Archaeology 8 (Apr., 1922): 48-82. JSTOR
- _____. “Second
Ordinary Meeting - ‘Excavations at Ur’.” Journal of the
Royal Society of Arts 82, no. 4227 (Nov 24,
1933): 46 - 59. JSTOR
- _____. “The Royal Tombs of Ur.” Antiquity 2, no. 7 (Jan 1, 1928): 7-24. ProQuest
- _____. Ur Excavations: The
Royal Cemetery. Vol. 2 London, UK: The Trustees of
the Two Museums, 1934. PDF
- _____. Guide to the
Archaeological Museum of the American University of Beirut. Classic Reprint. Forgotten Books, 2012. PDF
- _____. Ur of the Chaldees; A Record of Seven Years of Excavation. New York, N.Y.: C. Scribner’s sons, 1930. PDF
- _____. A Forgotten Kingdom. Being a Record of the Results Obtained from the Excavation of Two Mounds Atchana and Al Mina, in the Turkish Hatay. Baltimore: Penguin Books, 1953. PDF
- Winstone, H. V. F. Woolley of Ur: The Life of Sir Leonard Woolley. London, U.K.: Heinemann, 1992.
Back to the Index
Modified Dec 11, 2018. Copyright © 2016 Electronic Christian Media.