Yigal Yadin (Sukenik) is certainly a colorful individual and you will find him interesting. For Yadin you will have a lot of material to sort through. In this archaeology course we are not interested in his political or military career, so don’t spend a lot of time on these. For more information on Yadin look in a good Bible Dictionary or Encyclopedia LINK under the sites that he excavated. Questions that you should answer in your paper include:
- Where did he take his training?
- What was his specialty?
- Where did he excavate?
- Who did he excavate with?
- What discoveries did he make or was involved in?
- What role did he play in the discovery of the Dead Sea Scrolls?
- What was the Biblical impact of his research?
- Boraas, Roger S.
“Review of The James A. De Rothschild Expedition at Hazor,
Hazor III-IV: An Account of the Third and Fourth Excavations,
1957-1958 by Yigael Yadin.” Journal of Biblical
Literature 110 no 3 (Fall 1991): 499-501. LINK
- Dever, William G.
“Yigael Yadin (1917-1984): In Memoriam.” Bulletin of
the American Schools of Oriental Research 256
(Autumn 1984): 3-5. JSTOR
- Orni, Efraim.
“Yadin (Sukenik), Yigael.” Edited by Fred Skolnik and Michael
Berenbaum. Encyclopaedia Judaica.
22 Vols (New York, N.Y.: MacMillan, December 12, 2006):
- Roxan, Margaret M.
“Greek and Latin Documents from Masada. Review of Masada,
II: The Yigael Yadin Excavations, 1963-1965. Final Reports;
The Latin and Greek Documents by Hannah M. Cotton; Joseph
Geiger” The Classical Review 41, no. 2 (1991):
- Segal, J. B. “Review of Hazor I: An Account of the First Season of Excavations, 1955 by Yigael Yadin; Yohanan Aharoni; Ruth Amiran; Trude Dothan; Immanuel Dunayevsky; Jean Perrot.” Bulletin of The School of Oriental and African Studies 23, no. 1 (1960): 199. JSTOR.
- Segal, J. B.
“Review of Hazor II: An Account of the Second Season of
Excavations, 1956 by Yigael Yadin; Yohanan
Aharoni; Ruth Amiran; Trude Dothan; Immanuel Dunayevsky; Jean
Perrot.” Bulletin of The School of Oriental and African
Studies 26, no. 1 (1963): 177-78. JSTOR
- Shanks, Hershel.
“BAR Interviews Yigael Yadin.” Biblical Archaeology
Review 9, no. 1 (1983): 16-23.
- Shanks, Hershel.
“Yigael Yadin 1917–1984.” Biblical Archaeology Review
10, no. 5 (1984): 24-29.
- Silberman, Neil
Asher. A Prophet from Amongst You: The Life of Yigael
Yadin: Soldier, Scholar, and Mythmaker of Modern Israel.
Addison-Wesley, 1994. Look
- Yadin, Yigael. Hazor:
The Rediscovery of a Great Citadel of the Bible.
New York, N.Y.: Random House, 1975. Not
- Yadin, Yiagel, and
Carol Newsom. “The Masada Fragment of the Qumran Songs of the
Sabbath Sacrifice.” Israel Exploration Journal
34 (1984): 77-88. JSTOR
- Yadin, Yigael, Joseph Naveh, and Yaacov Meshorer. Masada I: The Yigael Yadin Excavations 1963-1965 Final Reports. The Masada Reports. Atlanta, GA: Biblical Archaeology Society, 1989.
- “Professor Yigael Yadin 1917-1984: In Memoriam.” Israel Exploration Journal 34, 2/3 (1984) 73-76. JSTOR
Back to the Index
Modified May 16, 2016. Copyright © 2016 Electronic Christian Media.